Xenophobic attacks: Gov't announces support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa
The government has announced a support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa following ongoing xenophobic attacks targeting other African nationals. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a public notice assuring affected Ghanaians that measures had been put in place to support their safe return and reintegration into society. The Ministry said returnees will receive a "Welcome Home Financial Package" as part of the government's immediate relief efforts.
The evacuees will be offered transportation assistance to help them travel to their various destinations across the country after arriving in Ghana. The government announced plans to provide a reintegration allowance to support returnees as they rebuild their lives. Free psychosocial support services would also be made available to affected persons. Evacuees would be entered into a special database designed to connect them with job opportunities and startup support programmes. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the intervention as part of the government's commitment to protecting the welfare of Ghanaian citizens abroad and supporting them in times of crisis, stating, "We value and cherish all our citizens."
The first batch of 300 Ghanaians living in South Africa will be evacuated through a special chartered flight scheduled for Thursday, May 21.
Quick Summary
The government has announced a support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa following xenophobic attacks. Authorities are assuring affected citizens that measures are in place to support their safe return - but what kind of assistance will they receive?
Summary - read the full story for complete context.

Image: MyJoyOnline
GhanaFront aggregates news from trusted sources. Click to read the original article.
Keywords
Explore related tagsMore from MyJoyOnline
Related Stories
More from Politics

'The mighty minority has been the last line of defence for Ghanaians' - Bawumia hails NPP MPs
Why does Bawumia call the NPP Minority caucus the "last line of defence"?
5h ago•2 min read

Wontumi Trial: Ex Deputy Lands Minister says concessionaires were encouraged to reclaim degraded mining lands
A former Deputy Minister's testimony could be key in the Wontumi trial-but what does it all mean for the case?
3h ago•4 min read

Amin Adam describes 24-hour economy policy as 'dead on arrival'
The former Finance Minister says the 24-hour economy policy is 'dead on arrival' - but why is he so critical?
5h ago•2 min read

Minority exaggerating claims of suppressed free speech - Attorney-General, Dominic Ayine
The Attorney-General defends the government's stance on free speech - but what limitations are being debated?
7h ago•4 min read




