Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
Bernard Antwi Boasiako, aka Chairman Wontumi, denied authorising Henry Okum to undertake mining activities on Akonta Mining's concession. He appeared before the High Court in Accra on Thursday, May 21, and insisted the arrangement was "solely for land reclamation and coconut cultivation." Wontumi stated, "I didn't give him permission to mine," during cross-examination by Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Justice Srem Sai.
Wontumi rejected claims he assigned mineral rights or knowingly facilitated illegal mining. He denied assisting PW2 to acquire excavators or other earth-moving equipment, stating, "That is not true...I did not assist him in purchasing any earth-moving equipment." The prosecution argued that he knowingly allowed mining activities and intentionally distanced himself from the site. The prosecution alleged his business model involved granting access to concessions for illegal mining in exchange for a share of the proceeds, a claim he dismissed as "a blatant falsehood".
Presiding judge, Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, ruled that Wontumi had a case to answer, citing PW2's testimony and Wontumi's caution statement to police. PW2 claimed he had been allowed to mine portions of the concession and use proceeds from the activity to finance reclamation works. The judge noted that Wontumi admitted permitting PW2 onto the concession "only to plant coconut trees to reclaim the mined portion of the concession". Wontumi acknowledged there was no written agreement and admitted he never visited the site after granting PW2 access, although he claimed videos of the reclamation works and approximately 18,000 planted coconut trees had been sent to him.
Quick Summary
Bernard Antwi Boasiako, Chairman Wontumi, faces allegations of authorising illegal mining on Akonta Mining's concession. He maintains his arrangement was strictly for land reclamation and coconut cultivation - but what does the court think?
Summary - read the full story for complete context.

Image: MyJoyOnline
Also covered by
GhanaFront aggregates news from trusted sources. Click to read the original article.
Keywords
Explore related tagsMore from MyJoyOnline
Related Stories
More from Politics

Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day - Ablakwa announces
Ghana is set to launch its first e-Visa system - what does this mean for African and international travelers?
5h ago•2 min read

Youth unemployment remains government's biggest challenge - Asiedu Nketia
Asiedu Nketia says youth unemployment is the government's biggest challenge - but what's the solution?
7h ago•2 min read

Government announces support package for South Africa evacuees
Stranded Ghanaians are returning home from South Africa- but what awaits them?
13h ago•3 min read

Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of 'lies'
Marco Rubio claims Cuba is a threat, while Cuba accuses him of lies - what's the real story?
15h ago•3 min read





