Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
Red Cross volunteers died from suspected Ebola between 5 and 16 May in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The organisation said the volunteers are believed to have contracted Ebola on 27 March while working in the eastern region of Ituri on a project unrelated to the virus, before the outbreak was identified.
The volunteers, Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane, had been working in the town of Mongwalu, which is now considered the epicentre of the outbreak. The outbreak has resulted in more than 170 suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases. The outbreak involves a rare species of Ebola, known as Bundibugyo, which has no proven vaccine and kills about a third of those infected. The World Health Organization (WHO) raised the public health risk from the virus in DR Congo from "high" to "very high". WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said the risk in the wider region in Africa was high but remained low globally.
Uganda confirmed three new cases on Saturday, bringing its total infections to five, while the African Centres for Disease Control warned 10 other countries on the continent were at risk from the outbreak. DR Congo suspended all commercial and private flights to and from Bunia to curb "cross-border spread". Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said a tent it provided to aid the Ebola response in Mongwalu had been burnt on Friday. MSF said in a statement: "Understandably, there are still many uncertainties and fears among the community in this rapidly evolving context. This incident highlights just how critical sustained community engagement and trust building are."
Quick Summary
Red Cross volunteers in DR Congo have died from a suspected illness- raising concerns for aid workers. The deaths occurred while the volunteers were working on a project- but the situation is more complex than it seems.
Summary - read the full story for complete context.

Image: MyJoyOnline
GhanaFront aggregates news from trusted sources. Click to read the original article.
Keywords
Explore related tagsMore from MyJoyOnline
Related Stories
More from Health

UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
The UN injects millions to fight Ebola- but will it be enough to stop a potential global crisis?
22h ago•3 min read

UN releases $60m from emergency response fund to tackle Ebola outbreak
The UN is stepping in to fight Ebola - but will it be enough to stop the deadly virus from spreading further?
15h ago•3 min read

"It is worrying" - Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
Why is the Medical and Dental Council so concerned about the behavior of Ghana's medical professionals?
19h ago•4 min read

ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
ECG invests millions to upgrade power in Accra communities - but will it be enough to solve the persistent challenges?
2h ago•2 min read




