Dubai's tourism industry reels from 'brutal' impact of war
Dubai's tourism industry is reeling from the "brutal" impact of war. Last year, Dubai welcomed 19.59 million international visitors.
Natasha Sideris says many of her restaurants have seen revenues fall by more than 50%. Outlets that depend heavily on tourists have been hit much harder, with declines of 70% to 80%. The crisis has forced her to cut salaries by 30% for all staff including herself. She says, "The current situation is brutal." She also says, "I had a choice - either fire 30% of my staff or cut salaries to save jobs. I chose the latter for now." One senior executive at a restaurant chain said footfall at its outlets has dropped to just 15-20% of normal, forcing them to place more than half of staff on unpaid leave. He says, "We have no option. We've already shut down a few outlets temporarily, and the rest are operating with minimal staff." Authorities say more than 2,400 missiles and drones have been launched towards the UAE. To date, 11 people have been killed and more than 185 injured across the UAE, according to authorities in the country.
The conflict began on February 28. Tens of thousands of visitors were stranded before being evacuated on special flights. Dubai International Airport handled 95.2 million travellers last year.
Quick Summary
Dubai's tourism sector, a major economic driver, faces unexpected challenges. The US-Israel war with Iran has disrupted the flow of international visitors- raising concerns for local businesses.
Summary - read the full story for complete context.

Image: MyJoyOnline
GhanaFront aggregates news from trusted sources. Click to read the original article.
Keywords
Explore related tagsMore from MyJoyOnline
Related Stories
More from Business & Economy

Ivory Coast will send officials to calm protests by cocoa farmers, source says
Why are Ivorian cocoa farmers protesting, and what does it mean for the next harvest?
5d ago•










