Dozens killed as Angola flood death toll rises
Angola flood death toll rises following heavy rains in recent days in the Angolan capital, Luanda, and other areas across the country. Emergency services have reported at least 29 deaths in Luanda and the central city of Benguela, with more than 34,000 people affected. Local broadcaster Radio Solidária reported four more deaths in Cuanza-Sul province, putting the total death toll at 33.
The flooding also damaged thousands of homes and public infrastructure, with damaged roads and bridges, fallen trees and electric poles. The collapse of a bridge pillar on Hâlo River disrupted traffic between Benguela and Huambo provinces. At least 17 people were injured, according to a statement by the Civil Protection and Fire Service (SPCB) on Monday. Earlier on Sunday, the SCPB reported that 15 had died and said thousands had been forced to leave their homes.
President João Lourenço mourned the deaths, saying the country was in a "race against the clock" to find, rescue and offer medical care to those affected. In a statement from the presidency, Lourenço noted that numerous houses had flooded or collapsed, roads were cut off, and key utilities, including water systems, were damaged. He said the government would provide assistance to the victims through the state agencies mobilised to deal with the crisis.
Quick Summary
Angola is grappling with the devastating aftermath of recent heavy rains in Luanda and other regions. The nation is now in a desperate race against time- but what challenges do they face?
Summary - read the full story for complete context.

Image: MyJoyOnline
GhanaFront aggregates news from trusted sources. Click to read the original article.
Keywords
Explore related tagsMore from MyJoyOnline
Related Stories
More from Regional

Adaklu Mountain now a security zone - Volta Regional Minister
Following a mudslide, Adaklu Mountain is now a security zone. What does this mean for the residents?
21h ago•2 min read










